Thursday, April 24, 2008
Here is my first completed example of an embroidery project from of my own creation. The central motif came from the Goess vestments, the two background patterns are fairly common in German embroidery in the medieval period. I wanted to test out which I liked better so I decided to do half each. The background patterns blended with the motif perfectly, something I was trying to achieve.
Finished size (open): 12.5 x 7.5cm
*Zweigart 28- count linen
*felted red wool for lining and "pages" of book
*Edging and tie: a 4 bobbin braid using Trebizonid (a 3-ply filament twisted silk) red #4015 and white
*Embroidery floss: 3 strands of Soie d'Alger, colors "CREME" (white), #2122 (green), and #2924 (red)
Tuesday, April 22, 2008
So I was reading today's A&S 50 yahoo group digest and there was a post from Helene, whose blog I have added to my "Blogs with Neat Stuff" list. She is doing the same thing I am, namely using period German brick stitch embroideries to make patterns. I am so stoked to see someone with the same interest! I was going to wait and post when I had the pattern motif and background finished, but I was so happy to see Helene's work that I decided to post my own as-is, and post the finished pattern later. Many thanks to Master Richard Wymarc for sending me the base template which I was able to take apart and adapt for my pattern.
I'd like to make 50 different patterns as part of my A&S 50 depth challenge. It seems ambitious and daunting but I have years to finish so I am officially committing to do it!
Friday, April 18, 2008
The design for this was based on several examples I came across in medieval art. It was my first attempt to make a piece of furniture and my second ever woodworking project. I chose a light finish called "Natural" because this was my first time applying finish and if I did a horrible job I didn't want it to be too obvious. Aside from needing a final rubdown with some steel wool it actually came out OK and it doesn't even wobble! It is all held together with slots on the sides and dowels on the front and top; there are no screws anywhere. Next time I won't be so afraid to use a better (more expensive) wood. I am really excited about making another piece although that will have to wait until I build closet organization for my not-very-big old house closet.
I learned a lot while making this piece. Next time I would be more careful about the scrollwork and not make such acute angles. First of all, not every one was the same; second, the really acute ones were a real pain to sand without contributing anything extra to the look of it. Also, brushing on polyurethane is a real pain. Next time I will try wipe on or spray finish.
Wednesday, April 16, 2008
I haven't completely nailed down what I want to do for my A&S Challenge, but part of it will have to do with designing and making my own things, be they wood, textile, or scribal. I charted this pattern from a motif from the Goess vestments. I have not seen these in person, my resource was the pictures from this site:
First I drafted the pattern. Now I am working on an embroidered example. I did find some simple mistakes in my charted pattern by making up a sample.
I originally planned on posting this when it was finished but it has been a while since I posted last so I wanted to at least record what I am working on. It is spring and I am also very busy with my garden and working overtime when I can.
Friday, April 4, 2008
I love my maru dai (braiding stand)! I have been going cord happy, using up all the thread I bought when I was experimenting with different types of embroidery thread. I also made some fine cord with linen thread for plain chemise ties. The black and red cord was made with 12-ply Splendor silk floss while the black and white was also made with Splendor but split into 2 strands per bobbin instead of 12.