Wednesday, July 16, 2008

More research at Stanford Library


Here are the first of some of the wonderful things I scanned at the Stanford Art and Architecture library today. I chose the picture of this aquamanile because of the depiction of the late 14th century clothing, which I want to make ( I love tippets!). In another photo of the back of this piece it is possible to view her hairstyle which appears to be a fishtail braid.

This aquamanile depicts Phyllis and Aristotle and was made in the South Lowlands in the late 14th century.

I would really love to learn metalworking, especially blacksmithing and casting, also enamelwork.

2 comments:

Chris Laning said...

Robin Netherton has an interesting article on tippets (and the limitations of the visual evidence about them). Remind me and I'll see if I have a copy.

Kathy Storm said...

Thanks, I'd like to see that.