Thursday, January 16, 2014

Vibrating "Curious Sofa" controller needs a paint job


The finished tabletop

An industrial arts organization for which I volunteer is making a vibrating sofa for this year's Edwardian Ball in San Francisco to go with the theme of Edward Gorey's "Curious Sofa". It has a variac and motor concealed in a nightstand to control the amount of vibration but the nightstand was boring so I was asked to paint it. The settings are from asleep (off) through orgasm (the big "O" where angels sing) to overload (off limits!).

Unfortunately I was asked to do it a week before the Ball and asked to finish as soon as possible so the device could be used for pre event testing. I had to come up with a design on the spot and execute it quickly.

The black and gold floral design is modified from a design in a Dover Art Nouveau black and white images book I own, the rest came straight out of my head. I wish I'd had more time to make it truly spectacular and more technically perfect, but considering the time constraints I think I did a good job.

First I rough sanded the existing stained and varnished finish. Next I primed with arcylic gesso and painted in the black areas except the top. I then drew the designs freehand in pencil and painted over that with black paint. After that I sponge painted the top with titanium buff acrylic paint. Next I repainted all the black areas on the top, including the lettering, floral design, and outlines for the angels and mushroom cloud. Then I painted the gold and color. To finish off the painting I retouched black on the angels and mushroom cloud. The next day I varnished with wipe on polyurethane, followed up with a second coat the day after that. Then I was out of time.

The gold paint was Pearl Ex powdered pigment that I mixed with Golden's GAC 100 Acrylic medium. If I hadn't been in such a hurry I might not have mixed it with a brush handle in an old yogurt cup; it was a bit lumpy from inadequate mixing. A few of the colors were professional grade acrylics but mostly they were student quality acrylics in big plastic tubes and tubs that I ordinarily use for cartoneria (paper mache).


The original tabletop

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank you for posting lovely blog, I got so many new information.Finish off the portray I retouched black on the angels and mushroom cloud. the next day I varnished with wipe on polyurethane, accompanied up with a 2d coat the day after that.I'm working in this website I think next primed with acrylic gestapo and painted within the black areas besides the pinnacle. I then drew the designs freehand in pencil and painted over that with black paint. After that I sponge painted the pinnacle with titanium buff acrylic paint.

Lisa Resnick said...

You posted very useful article.
clipping path service

yasul.top said...

I’m impressed, I must say. I’m here for the first time. Superb! I simply must tell you that I really love your blogs page. My boyfriend enjoys your blogs.

야동

ophunter.net said...

As I apply more and more of these insights to my daily life I can see how your education has transformed you into a top expert in this industry. I talked about these very points to my professor today and she couldn’t argue any of these points. After seeing this I know I will not be the same. Be cool if you were close to me so we could hang. I don’t know why but this site takes almost a minute to fully load on my friends laptop. Reading your content is way better than snuggles.

대딸방

massage.blue said...

Don’t be afraid to spread your thoughts. You have just made my year a great one! You are clearly an influence in this field so I'm sure many of these concepts probably come easily to someone like yourself however, I am still not understanding some things you’ve written here. What a highly descriptive and well written post. Any more feedback? It would be greatly appreciated.

마사지블루

gunma.top said...

Good web site! I really love how it is simple on my eyes and the data are well written. I am wondering how I might be notified when a new post has been made. I have subscribed to your RSS feed which must do the trick! Have a nice day! 건마탑