Thursday, June 10, 2010

Starting a new icon, Step 1



I will be spending all of next week at an icon workshop, painting a Prosopon style icon. For those who have been reading my blog for a while you may remember the icon of St. John the Forerunner I painted at the workshop last year. That was my second icon, but the first in the Prosopon style; it was a beginner level composition. This year's subject is an intermediate level composition with lots of gold (you'll see!). With such a large area of gold it will be EXTREMELY important how well I lay down the bole. I am a little nervous about that. All the gold is supposed to be finished by the time I get to the workshop on Sunday so I'll post pictures up to that point. I won't have internet access during the workshop (and I don't really want it - it will be nice to get away) but I will take lots of pictures and post a step-by-step photo essay when I return.

The 13 by 17 inch icon board is purchased; I just didn't have time to teach myself to make a solid wood board with braces before the class. Eventually I plan to do that; I've only made it as far as cutting wood so far.

The drawing was made by the instructor, Dmitri Andrejev, following rules of composition about which I am largely ignorant. I wouldn't want to try drawing my own composition - if I were trying to authentically follow the style - without greater knowledge. There are specific ways hands, faces, etc are drawn that have specific meaning.

The drawing is then transferred to the board. First, draw a center line down the middle of the board, just like in the drawing. This will ensure the drawing is not transferred out of alignment. I used transfer paper and a ball point pen to transfer the drawing. Note that there is a little "x" on the face of each figure. This is to mark where to place the compass that is used for drawing the halo.

3 comments:

Mona Diane Conner said...

Kathy, wow, I see that we have Prosopon, Society of Tempera Painters, and miniature art all in common! Best wishes with the workshop, and please pass along my regards to Dmitri Andrejev.

Kathy Storm said...

Thank you! Your paintings are amazing, I hope to be as good as you are someday!

Sarah Ketley said...

Definitely a wow design!!

I am hoping to do a similar sort of picture (very similar actually) in medieval split stitch. I would love to have a go at painting an icon though.

My picture at present doesn't have quite as much clothing design on it. bit more tricky with embroidery.

Keep posting it looks fantastic!!

Sarah